South Central Jr./Sr. High School serves the community in the southern portion of Harrison County, Indiana. The two closest town populations are that of Elizabeth, estimated town population of 137, and Laconia, estimated town population of 50. The population of the community served by South Central Jr./Sr. High School is approximately 5000. South Central is considered a small, rural, public school with a student population of 382.
The school climate is one of interpersonal relationships between students and teachers. Students feel safe and comfortable in their learning environment as well as have a strong sense of belonging and pride. A large population of students participates in after-school athletic programs and club organizations. Curricular and extra-curricular events such as ball games, school plays, music programs, and parent/teacher conference nights are well attended by both students and community members. There is significant support from parents and community members in regard to athletic programs and band. We have had an increase in parental support in creating more academic programs through our Parent/Administrator/Teacher/Student (PATS) Committee.
Harrison County continues to change. The new business developments throughout Harrison County have impacted our student population. also. These developments have directly affected the school in that the students are witness to the impact of industry on a community and which direction they may prepare for the future.
- like our students, the educational process is evolving and needs constant revision.
- we share an enriching and interactive learning environment.
- all students can learn from a relevant curriculum and experiences beyond the classroom.
- student motivation and assumptions of responsibility are keys to student learning.
- students learn best when provided with clearly articulated expectations and goals.